Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Pretty Package

I hear the door bell and run down the stairs. The mailman greets me with a packages, it is small. That means it is probably not computer components for my husband, Hmm... perhaps, lovelies for me! I make quick of thanking my welcome messenger and scoop up my package and run to the table. What could it be, I wonder, as I am expecting several items. Is it a bevy of fantastic florals from Prima ebay, no too heavy. Is it fun scrapbooking embellies from one of my favorite on-line stores, no to big. Books from Amazon, no too light. I refuse to read the label because half the fun is guessing, and of course the element of surprise! Ok, ok I tear it open like a child on Christmas morning! Oh.... I see white every where, glitter, crystals, pearl beads, snow angels and creamy lace paper. It is a kit I ordered from mixed media artist Carol Wingert. Oh, such a divine assembly of beautiful goodies to send any artist to nirvana! I take out each piece and feel the texture, the softness and admire the beauty of the raw materials. I take a small bag of baubles, perhaps from France these little treasures prism the sunlight. Lace and tulle, with a color that can only develop over the years: antique I am sure.

I imagine a shopper, perhaps an artist walking through the streets of France. She stops at the bakery and selects a baggette with Brie and a cup of tea. She continues down the street until she arrives... The weekly flea market! Here she shops for herself and friends, looking over the lace promised to be fifty years old from a French maidens wedding dress, he says. Yards of tulle and yarn across the way. She carefully selects buttons, shiny ones and of course the small pearls catch her eye. Old postcards always delight and she silently celebrates as she comes upon a collection of old photographs. Parents, children and grandchildren of eras long past look out at her, she must have them all! She bargins until the price feels right.

She feels lucky. It has been a good day, she thinks, as she juggles her bags of treasure home. It starts to rain lightly, she feels a chill, no worries. She knows the best is ahead. Her afternoon spent sorting through the beautiful bounty in front of the fire ...
The doorbell rings again, it is my neighbor. I am back... at home. I wonder what tomorrow will bring...

2 comments:

Christine Delgadillo said...

Wow, now I REALLY need to find the "white package" you brought me this afternoon, as I too want to be whisked away to France, if only for a short while!

jeans said...

I tagged ya on my blog, Valerie!
jean