Friday, May 30, 2008

Memories for Sale: $3.00

It never fails, weeks will go by and nothing much going on. Then, POW! stamp Convention, classes to teach, two flea markets and of course: quality time with the children!

I think my friend Lisa and I are hooked on the Alameda Flea Market monthly event. So much to see and buy, not to many bargins but unique items abound. We have so much fun pointing out things our parents use to have when we were growing up. Sometimes an item will invoke a memory long forgotten, something simple. For example, last time I spent $3 for a set of repelling magnet scottie dogs, less than an inch tall!

A toy my dad use to buy me at the bowling alley, I had several sets. It went like this, he was usually bowling in a tournament while my brother and I watched, for about 10 minutes, then boredom set in He would give us change to keep busy.As I recall, it was a cigarette machine that also sold small toys, Scottie dogs, curling fish, magic tricks and dice. All for about 25 cents. A candy bar and a toy, we were happy for another 30 minutes. Did I really have to have the Scottie dogs, no, but the fun memories they brought up were worth more than the 3 bucks...for sure.

No comments: